Books

Three books I intend to read:

Martha Nussbaum The Clash Within: Democracy, Religious Violence, and India's Future

Martha Nussbaum is one of the most thoughtful of political theorists today. Here's some tastes: 1, 2, 3. (Added: here's Nussbaum on Israel, which you can read all of if you're a Nation subscriber. Thanks to Arieh.)

Paul Mason Live Working or Die Fighting

The most important story to be told today.

Khaled Hosseini A Thousand Splendid Suns


I know this book is getting huge amounts of hype, after the runaway word of mouth success of The Kite Runner. But The Kite Runner was simply a wonderful book.

One book I have no intention of reading:


Christopher Hitchens God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything


Frankly, much as I love the Hitch, I can't be bothered to read this. Hitchens is always at his most tedious when he talks about religion. (Excerpts here for my militant atheist friends).

Comments

Popular Posts